May I Have Your Attention Please
Do I have your attention? Well, I better get to why you are here because according to the BBC News, “The addictive nature of web browsing can leave you with an attention span of nine seconds – the same as a goldfish.”
Wow! 9 seconds! This now means that capturing someone’s attention has become very important in today’s society. It also means it is more important in business because your clients are internet
Often times I am with a salesperson that wants to walk into a prospect’s business and have a conversation to get the permission to come back for an appointment. Most of the time they end up leaving empty-handed. Do you want to know why? It is because they were not able to capture the potential client’s interest with their magnetic personality, good looks, or charm. That will not work in today’s selling environment. Think goldfish!
Here are a 5 ways to capture a client’s attention.
- Bring a Gift: You are probably thinking that is crazy. I am not saying buy them something, but bring them something of value such as an industry white paper, a news article related to them, data about their business or industry or even better…a referral.
- Split Your Pants: What? Split your pants. In other words, be memorable by making them laugh. Recently I was visiting a client and as I stepped out of my car I heard a terrifying sound. RRRRIIIPPP! I split my pants. I quickly accessed the situation and realized I could still walk in to see my client. I explained the situation and we both laughed. He thanked me for coming in to explain the issue and not blowing off the appointment with a poor excuse. My client gladly rescheduled the appointment. I am just glad I wore underwear that day.
- Give Them Your Baseball Card: Create your own business card that mimics a baseball card. Have your picture on the front and on the back have some fun facts and stats about yourself. I will guarantee that card will make it to the decision maker and not the trash taker (trash can). They get many salespeople in the door and they all have the same boring looking business cards. Make your business card the one that gets noticed. Play ball!
- Make Your Smart Phone Smarter: You bought the phone to help you be smarter, right? Well, use it to help get someone’s attention. This is a great technique when someone says to call them back at a certain time. Take out your phone and create an appointment to call them. Get their email address and send it to them. I would place this in the email subject or appointment line, “Give me 5 minutes and I will earn the rest!” So, on the follow-up time that will pop up on their screen or phone. This will help them know the expectation and time it will take. You just better have something good to say.
- Happy 4th of July: When was the last time you received a Happy 4th of July card? Exactly! Wouldn’t you want to know more about this person that sent you that card? Of course, you would. Curiosity will get their attention. So send greeting cards to people when they least expect it. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Valentines Day
- President’s Day
- St. Patrick’s Day
- Cinco De Mayo
- Flag Day
- 4th of July
- First Day of School
- Columbus Day
Word to the Wise: We all know that time is money. So now that you captured their attention, make it worth their while and yours. Have a real solid reason for the client to spend more time with you. If you waste their time, you will never see their wallet.