Character Strengths and Blind Spots
One of the best ways to achieve personal growth is to know your strengths and build on them. It is also important to know your blind spots. Your character strengths and blind spots give you an understanding of where to place your attention and focus so that you get more out of your life and increase your happiness.
Here are 24 character traits to assess yourself. They are as follows:
Appreciation of Beauty
|Curiosity||Humility||Love of Learning||Spirituality|
Now there are a few ways to discover your strengths and blind spots. The key to growth is to establish a baseline to work from and reflect upon as you work your strengths and blind spots. So how do you establish a baseline?
Establishing a Character Baseline:
Step 1: Download your Pinnacle Sales Coaching Character Baseline Report.
Step 2: Next ask a family member or friend to give you an assessment of how they view you. This can be tough because you want honesty in order to have a true assessment. Often times, those closest to us will withhold the truth in order to shield us and them from an uncomfortable situation. You will want to get one to two people to assess you.
Step 3: Approach a coworker, manager or mentor to give you their assessment. These people are more likely to have an honest conversation. The key is to ensure these people have a big enough sample size of knowing you in order for the feedback to be reliable.
Step 4: Take the Via Institute on Character Survey online. You will answer questions that will score you on these 24 characters. It should take you between 5 and 10 minutes to complete. In the end, you will get a personalized baseline self-assessment PDF.
Step 5: Add up the scores and divide by the number of personal surveys you gathered to get your average. In the event of a tie, use the Via score at the tiebreaker. You will add the average to the VIA score and then divide by two. Then rank them in order from lowest to highest. Now you have your baseline report.
You are probably wondering, what should you do with this information? Remember the reason you did this was to understand your strengths and blind spots. Now you have the opportunity to work on yourself and grow. Here are five ways to use this information to have personal growth.
- Get a Mentor: Seek out someone you feel that can help you either strengthen yourself or improve your blind spots. This could be many people that you choose. For example, let’s say you are weak in leadership and prudence and you really want to improve these character blind spots. Find someone you respect that you feel can help you grow in this area and ask them to teach or mentor you. Now do this for prudence too. They could be the same person or different people.
- Seminars: Attend a seminar that touches upon what you want to improve. This is a fast way to get information on how to improve and grow.
- Read: Books are a great source of information. They can have a huge impact because they focus on a topic or subject over multiple pages. You can also read online. Find a blog or a website that focuses on what you want to improve.
- Videos: Youtube and Vimeo are a couple of great resources that allow you to learn pretty much anything you want to know.
- Coach: Get a paid coach. This is the step you take when you become serious about improving yourself. A good coach will be able to help you improve and strengthening your characteristics. They will also guide you to the personal growth you desire. Think of a coach as a personal fitness trainer. People hired a trainer to help make them stronger and healthier while driving them when they want to stop or give up.
Keep your baseline report with you and look at it daily. It will be a reminder of what you are trying to improve and help you maintain your focus. You will find as you do this, the right people or information will magically appear to help you on your journey of personal growth.
Finally, come back in six months to a year and complete the report again. Then you can compare your baseline report to your new survey to see your progress.
Good luck on your journey of personal growth and enlightenment.